Author Topic: '02 TJ with i4 -- Mid Life Crisis  (Read 58355 times)

Wingman

• Free Loader
Re: '02 TJ with i4 -- Mid Life Crisis
« Reply #600 on: May 02, 2014, 10:04:44 AM »
"We can try that" or "it's only metal" has been uttered more than once.  It does bring a whole new perspective to the time expended to work metal.

And old, no matter how fast or slow you get there, "blows"!
Retired

jaysenodell

« Reply #601 on: May 02, 2014, 10:12:41 AM »
other phrases we have abused…

"There's of wire plenty left on the spool."
"There are still flap disks."
"I'm just going to hit <random part of fender> with a rock, right?"
"It's my first time so it doesn't need to be perfect."
"hmmm… that doesn't seem right."
"There's still more in the pile…"
"This looked much simpler online"

I dont' think ANY round tube based project it a good "learn how to" project.

But I'd do it again. Just with a different source for the product. and not with fenders.
Mid Life Crisis in the making -- '02 TJ i4 manual, Aussie Locker magic pulling from the front

jaysenodell

« Reply #602 on: May 02, 2014, 11:07:59 PM »
Lots of touch up paint is needed. It almost wasn't worth doing much more than primer before assembly. I'm sure it isn't that bad but it looks ... Like it needs paint.

Some LIfetime LED illumination. More planned for tomorrow. Need to hard wire markers still. Need to acquire the right blinker relay too.

Hood pins are in. Still need to cover old latch mounts on hood. Very happy with how the hood looks.

Actually I'm very happy with the whole thing. Yes it could be better, but I learned a ton and think the result is much better than it should be thanks to Mark's help and everyone's input.

Here are some pics from tonight.

Mid Life Crisis in the making -- '02 TJ i4 manual, Aussie Locker magic pulling from the front

SlvrJK

« Reply #603 on: May 02, 2014, 11:13:29 PM »
Looks great man, nice work. 
2008 JK X 2-door, 37" Nittos, 3.5" Clayton LA, Prorock 44, Rock Jock 60, and lots of armor...

JEEPWERX

• Friendly Competitor
  • Friendly Competitor!
    • JEEPWERX
« Reply #604 on: May 03, 2014, 12:09:06 AM »
Hey, we only improve our skills by pushing ourselves beyond the comfort zone. Nice job.
And that Mark guy you speak of... he's not too bad either.
You'll never forget your first big project and the friends that helped. Enjoy!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #605 on: May 03, 2014, 07:38:22 AM »

You'll never forget your first big project and the friends that helped.
Truer words are hard to come by.

Tapatalking in traffic
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

JEEPWERX

• Friendly Competitor
  • Friendly Competitor!
    • JEEPWERX
« Reply #606 on: May 03, 2014, 08:58:39 AM »
You'll even remember the guys that start helping but fall asleep in the drivers seat at 2 am while you continue a motor swap.

jaysenodell

« Reply #607 on: May 03, 2014, 09:04:40 PM »
35s on MLC actually drive better than 33 or 31. Better pick up. Fifth gear is useless but drives very nicely.

Amber eagle eyes are nice. Too bad the TJ side marker wiring makes it NOT a plug in. Working on circuit to make it work.

Once it is less rainy I'll grab lighting photos. Then a few day shots and post.

Still to do...
1 rear fender flares
2 rear bumper
3 tire carrier
4 derust and putty/paint

Hope to get this done before we leave.

jaysenodell

« Reply #608 on: May 03, 2014, 10:41:29 PM »
Some pics looking of MLC looking a bit rice-burner-blingesque for a jeep.

This is parking lights only. The headlights are not on, just the outer ring of LED are powered.

jaysenodell

« Reply #609 on: May 05, 2014, 09:29:36 AM »
Did not pass inspection this morning due to OBD2 indicating that not all checks are completed post reset. BAH!

MLC likes the 35s though. The i4 with a stock tranny and 4.10s does 55 in fourth at 2100rpm and no real pressure on the accelerator. Didn't have to downshift at all for hill climbs. I think it is actually much better than the 33s for street driving. Not sure a move to 4.56 is a good idea as that would put me back into a "between gears" state. A lower ratio t-case makes more sense. On paper...

Did manage to find some water to drive through. Flares are fixing the windshield and window spray problem. That's a plus.

Rattle can paint is NOT holding up this time. Already need to do significant touch up. I'm thinking that i won't bother, but will just have someone do the whole thing at one time. Knock the rest of the rust off, putty, temp coat to prevent flash, then have it done right. not sure though...

awl4928

« Reply #610 on: May 06, 2014, 05:48:22 AM »
Glad to hear it's back on the road.  But don't forget you don't have to deal with rust really soon.   Fix it all then.   4 months in a driveway next to the ocean and my jeep has rusted less than the first salt day in rochester.  Do the transfer case.    Still my favorite upgrade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

jaysenodell

« Reply #611 on: May 06, 2014, 06:30:48 AM »
I was thinking about that. On one hand I don't need to. On the other, I have lots of exposed rust that will be hard to get to as I finish the next couple of projects. And since I seem to need a better top coat, getting it all at one time might be easier.

But then I do have a move I'm packing for. It's likely I'll be doing a significant amount of the rust work someplace much warmer and sunnier than Roch.

jaysenodell

« Reply #612 on: May 08, 2014, 11:35:52 AM »
BAH! CEL came on at the 1/2 tank mark and the engine is clearly not happy. Very rough at 2K and exhaust changed smell. Looks like I need to get over to a code reader and then figure out what parts i need.

And things were going so well ...

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #613 on: May 08, 2014, 11:41:04 AM »
changed smell? My bet is O2 issues
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

jaysenodell

« Reply #614 on: May 08, 2014, 11:43:39 AM »
Yeah. there was an 02 code and an injector code post rest. I just don't understand why it comes on at exactly 1/2 tank on the fuel gauge. Seems that it would show up much earlier. If I keep the tank full the light never comes on and the smell is "normal" (hot oil from engine compartment)