Author Topic: '02 TJ with i4 -- Mid Life Crisis  (Read 58367 times)

jaysenodell

Re: '02 TJ with i4 -- Mid Life Crisis
« Reply #240 on: December 15, 2013, 06:06:13 PM »
Don't get me started on cc number stealing ... Zero protection and you'd never know I had it.

Still need relays and custom casing. Wiring needs indeterminate until I figure out how much of the existing relay wiring I can reuse. So far I'm only about $100 into it. What you see there is less than $60 total.

Granted there are tools you don't see that are prerequisite just like with any other trade.

I still need to acquire an obd2 interface chip and the 1" led sets to replace speedo tach etc. Maybe another $60 there.

Anyone do custom aluminum cutting "cheap"?
Mid Life Crisis in the making -- '02 TJ i4 manual, Aussie Locker magic pulling from the front

M

« Reply #241 on: December 15, 2013, 11:13:58 PM »
Whatcha doing in Bridgeport? I graduated from BHS. 

jaysenodell

« Reply #242 on: December 16, 2013, 05:47:53 AM »
That's the family homestead. Mrs is a local (fairport) but I've resisted assimilation. We try to get down there at least once a year.
Mid Life Crisis in the making -- '02 TJ i4 manual, Aussie Locker magic pulling from the front

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #243 on: December 16, 2013, 07:32:00 AM »
This will be pretty cool!

But most guys try to get rid of as much electronic stuff.  Less to break and leave you stranded.

Oh wait, you're not like most guys...  ;D
Retired

jaysenodell

« Reply #244 on: December 16, 2013, 08:13:20 AM »
Actually, this should reduce the "breakage" issues. Other than the relays (intention is to mount under hood), control switches will be replaced with microcontroller logic. Guages will be moved from mechanical to digital. LED bar graphs for or 7 segment numericals, and in the case of performance data like throttle position, air flow, o2 reading, error codes, etc, these will be stored on an SSD with time stamp and GPS data that will be displayable on both the on board LCD and readable in a text editor on a computer. Engine data will be retrieved from the OBD2 port (pass through for external readers) and can be disconnected with a tug.

So I'm fixing the broken fan controls, busted light switches, flaky speedo, tach, and temp guages, busted ignition switch and preventing the continued draining of the battery by an idiot leaving the lights on, in the most complicated way possible.

And admit it, you'd take a digital HUD over a stock dash... Once I get my up and running you'll know who to talk to.

jaysenodell

« Reply #245 on: December 16, 2013, 09:06:35 AM »
Got distracted by Mr Wing...

As of last night the key code entry is now preventing power up until successful code entry. Need to add the "add authorized driver" stuff and then start on discrete device control logic + UI elements. Also need to consider moving much of the variable config to external EEPROM/SSD to avoid excessive writes on the internal flash. using SSD would also allow external updates of configs.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #246 on: December 16, 2013, 12:01:12 PM »
in the most complicated way possible.

Yeah, you fit in here :)

Don't get me started on cc number stealing ... Zero protection and you'd never know I had it.

Do you work in security, or just have the mindset?
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

jaysenodell

« Reply #247 on: December 16, 2013, 12:25:49 PM »

Do you work in security, or just have the mindset?
Yes. To both. Unix hack from the old days of 9600b modems. With the advent of the 'net had to keep up on logical and physical security. banking systems always make me nervous as they move to more interconnected platforms using commodity HW and communication methods.

rejeep

• M4wd Vendor
« Reply #248 on: December 16, 2013, 12:51:49 PM »
laymen terms please..

is my shit safe?

because everytime it gets stolen the money is back on the card the next day...
I never wanted a red car.. always thought they were tacky and common...
I now have 4 very not common cars and they are all red.. :o

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #249 on: December 16, 2013, 01:03:15 PM »
ratio of sheep to intelligent thieves is astronomical high.  Chances i will get chosen very low.  chances it will get fix quickly- high.

rejeep

• M4wd Vendor
« Reply #250 on: December 16, 2013, 01:11:27 PM »
yeah thats what i thought...

jaysenodell

« Reply #251 on: December 16, 2013, 01:13:30 PM »
laymen terms please..

is my shit safe?

because everytime it gets stolen the money is back on the card the next day...
Safe to a point and for the exact reason you state. The banks take the loss on the chin. The reason they can do this is through cost reduction by implementing much lower cost (initial and sustaining) technologies thereby increasing their profits. Example: ESL and other banks ATM kiosks - a) by using ATMs they don't have to pay employees and have greatly reduced facilities costing b) by leveraging widely available internet services (most are dsl) the banks do not need to invest in closed WAN which run a 1000x higher cost c) by acclimating users (customers) to non-human interactions there is less demand for customer services further reducing personnel cost (users more willing to self-serve on the net).

There is also the banking FDIC (and others) insurance programs. These reduce risk to the consumer when the banks take on larger risks by moving to cost reducing but less secure technologies. The programs require stringent security checks that should protect personal info (called PII for Personal Identity Information). But if you've watched any tech reports you'll see that even the best security methods are compromised regularly.

So yes you're safe, but not really. You are protected from fraudulent charges, but should someone use your CC to get access to PII you're screwed.

For the record it is easy to steal your $$ with a CC stip reader, a tape writer, and paper. Getting the PII to "own you" is a bit harder and requires a bit more work.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #252 on: December 16, 2013, 01:16:27 PM »
Exactly. The costs of fraud are too low for banks to be motivated to true prevention. They just keep charging their fees and making buku bucks and eat the fraud.

The fact that the money can go missing is the issue. At least we don have te false security here if chip & pin as in the UK - that system is supposedly so secure that customers are liable for fraud - yet it's still hack able.

Smike hits the nail on the head. Security through small odds

Tapatalking in traffic
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

rejeep

• M4wd Vendor
« Reply #253 on: December 16, 2013, 01:17:28 PM »
nobody wants to be all of me...

so let them have it..

jaysenodell

« Reply #254 on: December 16, 2013, 01:18:22 PM »
ratio of sheep to intelligent thieves is astronomical high.  Chances i will get chosen very low.  chances it will get fix quickly- high.
The trick for most of the thieves is finding the best sheep. A $1 charge to a dummy business account that doesn't get questioned indicates someone not balancing statements. Once they have that they have a good mark for a sellable number.

The best scam I seen documented is the "$10/mo" service fee. Company poses as a credit protection agency and does a monthly for $10 or so. You call the number and it seems a legit business. Most sheep think it is something they signed up for via the CC company. Folks walk with lots of money.