Author Topic: Auxiliary tank  (Read 19331 times)

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Auxiliary tank
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2012, 10:57:04 PM »
I know
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Auxiliary tank
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2012, 03:45:13 AM »
No bueno.

It held at that level for an hour or more. Then decided to rise again. The cap held without leaks, but half an hour later the big port on top of the tank was leaking, where the draw and return lines attach and sender lives. Nonspecific, I caught it after it was dripping and it was just all wet.

So close.
oh lord!

etk300ex

Re: Auxiliary tank
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2012, 08:36:43 AM »
Is that a flesh light?

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Auxiliary tank
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2012, 08:49:24 AM »
No. This is fucking me - I'm no expert, but i'm pretty sure a flesh light works the other way 'round.
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2012, 01:38:50 PM »
two fuel pumps i have at the shop, either would have worked with a toggle switch, haha

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2012, 02:49:04 PM »
what part of "I have no interest in a switch that can be forgotten and left on to overfill the tank" don't you understand? Is that a difficult concept? do I have to paint you a picture? I can go get some crayons and we can draw it out if it'll help you :flipoff2:

sadly, I spoke with RDS support and my initial thoughts on this thing are right, it may as well just be a tee into the damn line. Don't open the fuel cap when both tanks are full; extend or cap off vent lines, etc....

so to get what I want, I need to figure out what leaks on the main hole in the tank. The fittings there are rusty and I wouldn't mind replacing the whole unit there as PM anyway - but it's not listed on Rock so I bet it's a dealer$hip part. And I definitely have to drop the tank or lift the bed to change it.

oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2012, 03:07:10 PM »
i think is comical you are going through such an elaborate cluster to complete such a simple task, but i guess what else would i expect from the dumpbus saga.  bitching this much about such a simple task, eeek

seriously, what about doing it electrically automatically?  does the oem fuel gage function properly with some type of resistance sweep?  could you have like 2 resistors, a cap, and other penny cost majic to drive fet to pull a fuel pump relay on and off automatically when a threshold is met on the main tank.  could have a manual over ride switch also.

i guess that would not allow you to know your big tank is empty and or run a transfer pump dry. 

thought: same thing with solenoid valve electric or air valve that would not run dry

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2012, 03:20:28 PM »
an electronic shutoff wouldn't have the 'run dry' problem. I don't know enough magic to make something that the fuel gauge would govern, but it does work accurately. something that would supply power to an electronic shutoff with key on, and fuel level at 'full' or below would work well (gauge pins full at about two needle widths above full)

and come to think of it I bet a pump with 30" of head on it would probably flow some and not fix this "simple" problem - but IDK about that.

I found a part number for my tank module, going to see if it's still good and still available. With the rusted out filler neck I imagine the rusty lines on the in tank module are getting kinda thin too. I imagine if I get that replaced, the problem will go away. Or can at least be fixed while swapping it.
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2012, 04:03:35 PM »
have you tried moving the check valve floaty thing lower than the top of the tank to give it more force to shut off?  sure orientation is correct?   (assuming i under stand what you have, if not disregard)

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Auxiliary tank
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2012, 05:15:45 PM »
Orientation is correct. No easy way to move it lower since its tees into the filler neck.
oh lord!

Nick

« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2012, 05:21:42 PM »
Why can't you get a valve that when you flip the switch it r e routes the return line to which ever tank you have on

Nick

« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2012, 05:25:35 PM »
Is that what the problem is? I don't have the patients to read novel posts so I am using context clues from the first sentence.

rejeep

• M4wd Vendor
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2012, 05:27:19 PM »
Admittedly I didn't read half of this..
But why not just gravity feel the aux (higher tank) to the main (lower) tank...
You can plumb it with brake line and just let it flow...

You would fill the main tank till auto shut off then move the nozzle to the aux tank...

Only one fuel gauge required....

Am I missing something?
I never wanted a red car.. always thought they were tacky and common...
I now have 4 very not common cars and they are all red.. :o

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Auxiliary tank
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2012, 05:38:18 PM »
Gravity feed is what I'm doing. Followed up by chasing leaks since the dodad that is supposed to stop flow at "full" isn't. It's stuffing the tank hard and finding all leaks.
oh lord!

etk300ex

Auxiliary tank
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2012, 05:38:48 PM »
Yep lol