Projects place > Projects Section

TDI Wonder 4.0

<< < (2/16) > >>

mr.mindless:
Polish injection pump arrived today. Haven’t been in the shop since I pulled this apart. Hopefully it just goes together and runs.

mr.mindless:
This is really fighting me. All went together great. No setup mistakes on the belt, everything went together just dandy. Double checked my work a couple times now.

Pop tested the injectors and they looked decent after some cleaner went through them and tested even pressures too. All 4 glow plugs tested good on a battery too.

Have sucked clean fuel through the new injection pump and gotten all air out.  No computer indicated issues.

But the damn thing doesn’t want to fire. Injectors didn’t want to seal perfectly to the head. Third try on that and I broke a hold down bolt. Got that out of the head and found a replacement in my metric bolt bucket, still no dice.

I didn’t get to do a compression test. I do have a right size adaptor for the glow plug hole, but it only cleared everything in #1. Hits injector or head casting on other holes. Maybe I’ll have to figure out a right setup for that and confirm no piston-kissed/ bent valves that are killing compression.

mr.mindless:
appears that this was an extremely stubborn bleed for some reason.

I got frustrated enough with it that I threw starting fluid at it and it fired. There were a few cans of starting fluid in the trunk, so I'm not going to think I did anything worse to it than what the previous owner already did...
I loosened injection lines at the injectors and got lots of foam.

I fired it a couple times on ether with the lines loose, tightened them up, and it fired and runs. restarted without issue after shutdown. Hopefully it'll cold start too.

Time for coolant and accessory belt and intake and to GTFO the lift.
Does have a fuel leak at #4 injector, not sure where but did dry off to check, and that is now wet.

mr.mindless:
Trans seems good. 4.5 mile test drive down and back on Whalen
Need to do a little tuning to fix a rough idle and find a fuel leak that showed during test drive and chase the initial blinking brake light problem and make sure that’s not catastrophic before I put Sarah’s plates on it for until we find her something permanent.
I suspect the blinking brake light is just ebrake actuation switch but I’ll find out Monday or Tuesday…

Now i can finally get my wagon in for altErnst it and new injectors (hard start hopeful solution, it’s about all that’s left.

First time I’ve ever driven a TDI automatic. 0-30 or so is great. 40-60, put away the stopwatch and get out a calendar. Lol

mr.mindless:
Gave an immobilizer error today. Haven’t chased. Hopefully battery disconnect fixes and it never ever repeats especially with Sarah possibly driving regularly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version