Author Topic: new house for mikemike  (Read 44989 times)

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Re: new house for mikemike
« Reply #360 on: September 05, 2020, 06:51:25 PM »

Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

cracker

• Free Loader
« Reply #361 on: September 06, 2020, 08:43:42 AM »
Nice was thinking about one of those at the old house but never really looked into it.. figured it would cost more.. for that price I may definitely look into for new house and barn

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #362 on: September 06, 2020, 10:43:22 AM »
This is this one

Camplux ME25 Mini Tank Electric Water Heater 2.5-Gallon with Cord Plug,1.5kW at 120 Volts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0789DTY5L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WqpvFbR8P1N2H

There are quite a few options but for a hundred bucks warehouse (there’s one at $99 and change now) it was totally worth the gamble.

For a wash up sink in a shop without hot water it should be a great option too. As cheap and easy and non-rattling as it is, has me thinking about it as a Joe hot water option too. The 30-40 gallon residential electric seems better for shower though. I still want some way to bank engine heat when I get around to that anyway. This is just such an easy way to get a sink’s quantity of hot water!
oh lord!

Wingman

• Free Loader
« Reply #363 on: September 06, 2020, 10:59:01 AM »
On-demand for any shower is the way to go
Retired

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #364 on: September 06, 2020, 06:48:37 PM »
Rotted basement window replaced. One rotten window to go.

Hydraulic cement is my new favorite tool. Set the new vinyl window in cement just like they did with the wood window because fuck it. If that lasted 30, this ought to last 50.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #365 on: September 07, 2020, 07:54:17 PM »
6 gallons and min an hour to spray the growing parts of my lot. Used some pretty old stuff, hope it does something. 3 Gallon sprayer wasn’t too bad. Will be better when it isn’t out of control.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #366 on: September 13, 2020, 10:55:57 PM »
Whole lot more work to put together than modern stuff. Should be able to level and fix the one fucked up leg tomorrow. $60 v. well spent.

May redo the other “bridge” legs for strength too, and put pads on the bottoms of all feet. Forklift/ plasma/ sawzall should be a winning combination to make quick work.

We’ll see how this location works out. With the paint booth door all the way open or closed it should be pretty good for pass through. Could shorten by any arbitrary amount with 2-3hr work or cut off and re-weld.

oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #367 on: September 16, 2020, 01:09:43 AM »
Critical leg adjusted/repaired.

Most of the decking I got with it applied. Needs edges trimmed and some securement so it doesn’t slide off. Plan to keep the shelf where the sawzall is clear for transient project workbench. It’ll need a light. May take down the blocked light and/or add lights to the faces of the top shelves if needed.

Bottom shelf is about 4” too low to put a LS with truck intake on a pallet underneath. Curious if it’ll fit without pallet. Would love to keep engines low...

Ordered some turnbuckles to secure against building structure to keep from tipping. In case engines aren’t always low.

Materials rack on the buggy side still needs some adjusting. Pretty pleased. Almost ready to move on to other things. Like a hoe.

oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #368 on: September 18, 2020, 11:13:26 AM »
I have bird problems. They're in everything.

Need to dig out my roll of chicken wire and go to town.
They're above the insulation on the old side of the shop, they're in my attic due to some missing trim that I was only thinking of weather-tight when I saw and ignored, and they're in my drier vent. The one acceptable place they're in is the propane tank hatch for the shop.

Found drawings from 1984 of the standard configuration for this 1988 build. Confirmed the strong suspicion of modular, shows where the 4 pieces broke up (no surprises)

The water is a fun project as long as the sump pumps keep working. If they don't, that's a lil problem.
The disconnected battery backup is present, need to evaluate that.

Oil furnace doesn't light. Hydronic heater shows no water pressure though valves are open.
Shop needs new lower power and more effective lights.

LOVE the property.
Road noise isn't much of a bother.
Working in the shop office is everything I dreamed of.

Miss a sidewalk between shop and house, but from back door off the deck to the shop is a dry route even when it's soggy.

overwhelming in all regards to have this large an increase in space.

4 months on, no longer overwhelmed. Feels like I'm were I belong. Sarah agrees, and the kids seem to agree too.
I think it'll be another year before anything feels "done" but so much progress has been made that it feels like we're reaching a plateau of done-ness.

- Prescient on my sump pump mentions above.
- Still need to clean up and reinstall mop board in the dining room, but the awful wallpaper is gone. Next time I get bored and want to work in the house, I have a flooring product picked out to get rid of the 5 sections of 1st floor flooring across 3 rooms. Tempted to wait on mop board but I want to wait a couple years to do floor.
- No mice caught in the house in at least 2 months.
- surprise rotten basement window replaced.
- hope to steal some good wood from that window to fix a rotten front frame on the front bay window. that needs to be my next project.
- have a new control wire from thermostat to furnace to run, in order to run the fan on the furnace. Right now it's single wire, so no heat from the fireplaces will ever move around the building 🙄 I expect I'll be wanting to get a thermostat with remote sensors to keep upstairs bedrooms warm enough, but maybe running the fan will equalize things well enough?
- need to buy some tons of wood and decide where-how to store it. I can easily put 2-4 tons in the house garage but the forklift is a foot too tall. Probably steal the pallet jack from work for an evening to place that 👍
- should probably sweep my chimneys, bet they've been as neglected as everything else.
- I'm sure I'll miss that sidewalk to the shop, but I bet I can just commute in Gus and not give a fuck :)
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #369 on: September 23, 2020, 11:22:25 PM »
unloaded some wood from Brett's trees last night, and had bad internet this morning. Had to move my truck out of the way of the wifi.

non-lowesdepot parts ordered to hard wire network house to shop. Will get conduit to bury ethernet, fix a power line to the stables I clipped with a mower, and energize compressor in the house garage along with stove wood pellets either tomorrow afternoon or Friday.

phase converter needs a start capacitor, and has the coating peeled on a 500Ω 10w resistor so that's getting replaced too. It just uses a motor start capacitor to feed that missing leg. Much less to it than I expected. about $20 in parts will be here Friday, 15 minutes of soldering and it should be golden oldies. More time to R&R than to repair.

got the crossfeed motor mounted on the mill but not wired yet.

fixed the paint booth exhaust fan damper, need to bring that up to the roof and mount it. It was not just falling off, but also falling apart.

mouse traps are going to move into the shop. Haven't seen trace anywhere I care, but I've seen them around going up behind the metal siding, once outside and tonight inside.
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #370 on: September 24, 2020, 07:43:02 AM »
the bridge antenna system i have been using has been flawless.  it worked at the old shop to shooting it across the street and through Cartwright inn to my shop.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #371 on: September 24, 2020, 08:04:28 AM »
One of the guys who works for me suggested a wireless bridge that he used to install, too. If I bump my internet speed though, the 300mbit wirelessi would still be a bottleneck, so I decided to go wired, with lightning arrestors on each end.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #372 on: September 25, 2020, 03:01:46 PM »
$15 of parts and 15 minutes of assembling and soldering and the phase-o-matic is phasing and maticing again 🎉

crossfeed motor works but table is too tight and kicks it out of gear. May need to disassemble and clean; feels like something is binding a bit. big motor isn't mounted or wired yet. lathe works again. winning!
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #373 on: September 25, 2020, 05:42:07 PM »
Great public performance in my shop lot at rush hour!

oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #374 on: September 26, 2020, 07:31:47 PM »
Busy day at the homestead.

oh lord!