Author Topic: ECU activities  (Read 608 times)

mr.mindless

• Administrator
ECU activities
« on: February 27, 2022, 10:20:28 AM »
I’ve been starting to look deeper into ECU programming. I’ve got all connectors and cables, ordered a solid bench power supply (pyramid 13.8v non-adjustable).

Have collected proper software for VAG and a couple notes on GM stuff. I have 2 spare Vag ECU that match the Allroad, confirmed, and i think the mk4 tdi as well, as well as 3 GM on the shelf. I think 2 of the GM are a match to what’s in 571, but I don’t recall for certain if it’s a blue-green or blue-red. Only blue is used for programming though so doesn’t matter for the bench.

Really wish I could get a solid state drive working in my older windows laptop with native serial port (1). Going to see if my ancient keyspan usb to serial plays nice, or if i can use basic drivers with my Ross-tech cable for all needs. If that works, I’ll be able to move to a newer laptop for shop use (2)

Motivation here is initially that the Allroad needs a clutch, which is an engine-out job. Turbos are also an engine-out job, therefore: what would it take to upgrade turbos along with fixing all the remaining leaks. The answer is a lot, including a remap of course. And tuners are still proud of tunes for a 20 year old car, so what might I be able to do with open source tools? Potentially solve some problems is the answer. And maybe adjust things on the TDI wagon to better suit it’s big turbo. And make VINs match if dumb swaps are ever done.

1) Dell latitude D430; I have tried to ssd it twice, and it won’t see an m2 on the needed adaptor board. It uses a 1.8” disk. I think I verified it is on latest bios revision but I guess that’s one last thing to verify. I’ve got 2 complete laptops and a brand new third battery too. And it’s a nice compact machine.

2) a Dell latitude E4300 has been on standby for a few years. If either of those sun options work well that would let anything up to brand new work. Which wouldn’t be bad. Just bigger than the d430.
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Re: ECU activities
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 10:40:24 AM »
Nefmoto to talk to VAG ecu
PCM Hammer to talk to GM ecu
TunerPro for mapping and adjusting
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 03:20:03 PM »
PCM hammer and tuner pro are good tools.

you can only modify tunes with tunerpro if there is an XDF available for what your trying to look at.  so most often you just do an entire OS flash and have to start with a new base tune that can then be modified with tuner pro.  There is something called segment swapping to pull just a fuel table or just a trans cal out of a file and such but i have not got into that at all yet. 

it seems monthly the bluetooth or wired OBD dongle thats the latest and supported changes so keep that in mind.  mine (OBDLinkLX) does not work with LS Droid any more, and that was pretty sweet when it did. 

12587603 and 12212156 are the two OS i use for all my swaps.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2022, 06:42:15 PM »
There _seem_ to be decent repositories for the XDF files. Hopefully I still think that after I start playing. Having not connected to something yet, I'm not familiar yet with how obvious it is whether the XDF is right or wrong.

I found as I'm aiming to wire things that there are two plug-compatible VAG ECUs that have different pin-outs. The spare plug I have is for the diesel computers, EDC15. the ME7.x computers that run my 1.8t and the 2.7 in the allroad have different power pin-outs that unfortunately cross some wires. pulling some spare pins from another connecter now, and figuring out how I'll be able to do both.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 10:42:26 PM »
unending fails in hacking any mainframes.

bench harness will talk to one ECU variety on my fancy cable, but the fancy cable isn't useful for programming even with the basic drivers that supposedly work.

no drivers for my old usb to serial adaptor for the basic serial cable I got.

no dice yet with a newer basic USB to OBD cable.

got out the OLD laptop and no dice with the serial cable on a serial port either. I didn't get into driver games with that.

I've been trying to get the alignment computer back up and running after its boot CD-ROM drive died. It's acting like that somehow fried the main board when that went. have reseated RAM and tried another video card. I get no video output from it at all.
I don't think I've got anything laying around at work that's old enough to have ISA slots, which is what the alignment interface is. Problems of 25 year old computers, I guess. Haven't completely given up on it yet, but close to out of ideas beyond throwing hardware at it.
oh lord!

M

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 10:12:40 AM »
let me know if you need me to scrounge through our scrap bins for something old.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2022, 03:04:09 PM »
might have a line on a GX270 that should be just old enough if I can't find something else to poke at.
oh lord!

M

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2022, 03:16:53 PM »
you can also buy ISA PCI adapters.