Author Topic: Shock Tuning  (Read 1492 times)

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Shock Tuning
« on: August 13, 2014, 04:05:04 PM »
Read some of Billa's bible, confirmed my understanding. Read some threads and watched some videos. I liked this one in particular http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/975079-another-round-shock-tuning-downsouth-motorsports.html

I think if we can find a place to take video like that to see what the chassis and axles are actually DOING, 95% of the rest is labor-intensive but very much intuitive.

Much seems to be said of tuning for the whoops and big stuff and learning to drive the rest on that tune. that absolutely makes sense out west. We don't have whoops here though. I think to do well in our series we would be best off tuning for 1-2' chop/ rocks.

I want to get a swaybar on my car before I make a dedicated effort to tuning. I know it will make a HUGE difference in general handling, and I don't want to be going through things twice before and after a big change - but a first and perhaps second take on some gross adjustments when I need to rebuild IFP seals anyway makes good sense to me. I doubt I'll get a bar on before the September race, because I haven't found the junkyard parts I'd like to try, and I'm not going cheap if I'm buying one because I don't want to buy several per year.
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

KingtheZJ

Re: Shock Tuning
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 04:17:28 PM »
I have a location for tuning in Avon. Let me check on availability of fields (with regard to current crop status).

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 05:45:01 PM »
has some varied chop? that would be incredible to have something that close! fingers crossed!
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 05:51:46 PM »
without a douchbag owner too!

place seemed to have potential. 

Ryan

• M4wd Vendor
  • Superstar
    • Lifetime LED
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 06:34:02 PM »

KingtheZJ

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 08:37:25 AM »
Smike asked about Avon for Sunday night or Monday night.

He said right now all fields are planted. There is a ~0.5 mile gravel road but its fairly smooth (where we unloaded the Audi). Would be good for at speed handling testing etc, but not for shock tuning.

I would assume either night would work.

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 09:03:19 AM »
we need an oval.  i want to see if my sway bar is going to break on the first turn

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 09:21:18 AM »
My thoughts on breaking a swaybar

I think if it survives full flex on all 4 corners it'll probably live for a while, and if it doesn't survive that it'll break the first or third time through a rock pile or on any crooked jump landing.
oh lord!