Author Topic: Mitsu Forklift  (Read 1235 times)

M

Mitsu Forklift
« on: October 22, 2015, 06:15:10 PM »
I have a '98 (or thereabouts) Mitsubishi FGC25K 5,000lb forklift. 

Today it was noticed that the left side of the tilt cylinder popped out of the yoke.

I tried reattaching it, but couldn't because it appears that the first two-three rows of the thread was damaged in both the rod end and yoke. 

Questions:
1 - Is the correct procedure of this repair is to thread/die the rod end and yoke?
2 - How do I adjust the cylinder so that it moves in the same speed as the right side?  I noticed that the left side (popped one) moves at a different time than the right one (still intact) which probably is how this popped out.

Where can I find a thread tap and die so that I can fix it and what size should it be (1 1/16"?)?  I've never done thread tapping/dieing before, but I get the concept of how it works.

Pics as follows:

matt

Re: Mitsu Forklift
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 01:03:03 PM »
The cylinders should be in parallel so the one is moving different than the other due to force being applied.  The one with the less force will move first.

I would just chase the threads with a file or dremel.  It is probably a metric thread (being mitsu) so finding a tap and die that size will be $$$

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 01:09:26 PM »
or just cut the end 3 threads off if they are really F'd.  pic or file out the gauled internal threads-  reassemble,  clamp with a bolt and top lock. 

rejeep

• M4wd Vendor
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 01:29:09 PM »
looks like chase with tap and die and new pinch bolt...

I never wanted a red car.. always thought they were tacky and common...
I now have 4 very not common cars and they are all red.. :o

M

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 02:13:58 PM »
It's metric.

I did try filing it down this morning. No good. The threads inside the yoke is bad.   I've posted ads online hopefully to find a heavy equipment mechanic that can do this for me.

It had a pinch bolt, and I took it off before I took the pics. The pinch bolt, I think, was not tight enough because it came off relatively easy.

M

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 10:34:12 AM »
I found a local forklift tech who took care of it. he took out the cylinder and brought it to his shop.   $65.    Easy.    Another win for us is that we now know of a forklift tech that lives in the same town we are in (it's pretty rural, most of the major forklift repair shops are 45 min away and they charge fees to go this far here)

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 11:01:56 AM »
two trips and service for 65$ that is a huge win

nice

M

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 12:48:46 PM »
two trips and service for 65$ that is a huge win

nice

It helps that he lives practically down the road from us...   Thats probably why he's so cheap.   He said most of his work is 45min+ away (as I said, we're in a pretty rural area)