Projects place > Projects Section

97 Dodge Ram 2500, AKA Shitty Dodge

<< < (3/52) > >>

mr.mindless:

--- Quote from: TrailTamer on May 30, 2013, 02:43:37 PM ---this trans work great, no slipping. I'm running 50% DIII, 50% tractor hydraulic fluid.

--- End quote ---

Finally catching up on some reading and got to this thread - that's an interesting recipe to run in a trans whose family is famously picky on fluid. What's the reasoning behind that? Everything that I've read says the clutch packs don't last with Dex fluid in there

TrailTamer:
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120969

This thread is what made me to run hydraulic fluid & DIII mix. I bought 5 gallon of tractor hydraulic oil with green lid from oreilly for way less than what it'll cost for DIII or the gold-mixed ATF+4. I follow many of big blue's auto trans modding ideas. Mind you, goerend recommend DIII with a bottle of lubeguard.

The main reason I go hydraulic fluid cuz it have more higher temperature tolerance before failing and better holding for clutches and better sealing and cheaper to buy. Worked fine in the winter at 50/50 ratio.

mr.mindless:
Very interesting read.

I do wonder how the clutch longevity might change. CompD is full of folks who think a 50k trans life is normal - but in those trucks it often is. My dodge auto experience is limited to gassers - where they last 50k+ crawling no problem.

I might think about the higher end tractor fluid as a fill for a few things now that I wouldnt have before.

You've got a 1500 stall in that thing? Wow.

Tapatalking in traffic

TrailTamer:
I don't have that 1500 rpm stall converter in my truck right now. I have goerend's triple disk stalled to 1500 rpm and their upgraded valve body back at home waiting for my next round of trans upgrade/rebuild. I'm waiting to "find" some $ (i hoped to get that VA tow job!) to buy billet input shaft and some other little sonnax billet goodies then the trans will be coming out then that's when I'll inspect how it reacted the tractor fluid and decide if I'll run that again or go back to 100% DIII.

My truck currently have billet single disk with lower stall than stock. No idea what it's rated at but not much less than stock stall. In my opinion it is still way too loose, becaus soon as I can lock up the converter, the truck literally take off so I know that 1500 rpm stall will be the ticket for my driving habit and goerend said this is their most selling stall speed.

TrailTamer:
I thought that I'll make a post on how I'm doing my WMO operations

most pics are self-explanation

[attachment deleted by admin]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version