Author Topic: Auxiliary tank  (Read 19298 times)

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Auxiliary tank
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2012, 12:53:23 AM »
Tested this tonight for the first time and it's a failure :(

I think the rollover valve isn't doing what it's supposed to since fuel started leaking out the pin hole in the filler neck - which is probably 6" above what should be the top fuel level. I shut the valve on the tank, no big deal. I only put 25 gallons in it, I'll open it again tomorrow when I'm below a quarter tank and let it all feed.

Maybe there was schmutz in the bottom of the tank that jammed the float ball? If it doesnt fix itself after running that 25 galthrough, I'll have to pull it apart when I get home. I'll still fill up in VA for $3.48 or so, I think gasbuddy was saying. 
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Auxiliary tank
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2012, 09:23:38 PM »
This fucking valve is fucking stupid. I don't see how it can possibly seal against a head of more than an inch or two. I don't see how it can work as intended in any application.

1/8" hole or so, plastic float with a matching pin. Float is Hollow and open on the bottom, roughly 1/4" square, bit over an inch long. Steel ball at the bottom that forces it closed if upside down (it is a rollover valve after all) That's supposed to float and stop flow when level is reached. It doesn't even slow flow when submerged 6" in my testing.

In fairness, I was working on the ground and the tank has 50-60 gallons in it, so it has probably 30-40" of head on it - but it didn't work with only 25 gallons in the tank right off the bat. Way less than I'd ask of it, and probably only 8-10" of head. I gave it a second chance to fail today with a full aux tank and it GUSHED out when level was reached.

Waste of $60. Glad I didn't spend $80+ at MSRP.

So I need another solution. Preferably automatic and mechanical as this was intended. I don't want to have to have a damn manual switch and watch the fuel gauge like I did for 2 hours today while driving.
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
Re: Auxiliary tank
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2012, 09:37:51 PM »
i think flipping a switch when the dash gage is on E is really not that big of a deal lol

your funny

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Auxiliary tank
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2012, 09:58:10 PM »
On E isn't the issue. Missing it when it's on F is the issue. Duh
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2012, 10:05:46 PM »
duh?

such i pile i dont even have to produce a come back to that

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Auxiliary tank
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2012, 10:08:24 PM »
With a sealed gasoline application (locking) cap, and a good non-rusted out filler neck, I don't see why I couldn't just free flow into the main tank and let the aux tank do the breathing?

Only down side is not being able to fill just the main tank, and needing to swap back to a vented cap to run with the aux tank shut off

Lack of correct venting gets in the way of this, but i was reading that Some guys run a sediment bowl and fuel filter between the aux tank and the main. Plugging is easily diagnosed when the main tank doesn't fill. Seems like an easy way to never deal with the retarded stock filter again, and there's a TON of room under the bed there opposite the stock tank with the exhaust not being there.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Auxiliary tank
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2012, 10:10:44 PM »
Oh fuck off. You're being dumb.

If its depending on an electric valve that's manually turned on and off with no blinking flashing "you're dumb" light, being on the phone or hungry or lost or whatever at the wrong time leads to an overflown tank, wasted fuel, diesel soaked trailer, etc. I'm not going to design for that use case, thanks.
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2012, 10:17:59 PM »
but you have so much experience with diesel fuel soaked trailers and loads haha

no love

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Auxiliary tank
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2012, 10:24:47 PM »
And it's not something I care to repeat!

knew that was coming. deserved.
oh lord!

luvmyxj

• Paying Customer
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2012, 08:17:37 AM »
With a sealed gasoline application (locking) cap, and a good non-rusted out filler neck, I don't see why I couldn't just free flow into the main tank and let the aux tank do the breathing?

doesnt the main tank need to breathe?

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2012, 10:52:49 AM »
it would do so through the aux tank, as long as that valve was never closed.

If it made it on the truck from Syr this morning, I'll have a new filler neck today and can think about this with parts in hand.
oh lord!

M4wdFab

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2012, 11:22:19 AM »
if you didnt put one yet id put in a manual shutoff valve, so when gas cap and truck tank start to leak you can shut off the pressure from the aux tank if needed.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2012, 12:19:18 PM »
already there, otherwise it would all have dumped out when the float didn't do its job.
oh lord!

mr.mindless

• Administrator
Auxiliary tank
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2012, 10:24:44 PM »
I may be speaking too soon, but It appears that this pup just needs more head on the outflow side to seal up.

I had good enough timing to watch fuel creep up the filler neck. Right when it reached the vent line in the filler neck it slowly came to a halt.

That's about a foot above the float, I only was able to give it 4-6" under testing last night. The pin hole in the old filler was an inch lower than this.

It hasn't moved in 15 minutes now.

Tentative hooray?

[attachment deleted by admin]
oh lord!

Ryan

• M4wd Vendor
  • Superstar
    • Lifetime LED
Auxiliary tank
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2012, 10:39:31 PM »
This thread sucks!!!!!