Author Topic: '75 MG Midget -- MadGe  (Read 6545 times)

jaysenodell

Re: '75 MG Midget -- MadGe
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2015, 05:36:30 PM »
The sweet convert it the winkle from an rx7. Only have to move one engine mount. Other popular are small block v6 and motorcycle with tubo. Get much over 250hp and the car needs structural reinforcement.
Mid Life Crisis in the making -- '02 TJ i4 manual, Aussie Locker magic pulling from the front

jaysenodell

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2015, 06:47:37 AM »
MadGe has had some issues with the summer temps down here. But I think it may be worked out. Basically once the temp was over 85, she would show all the signs of vapor lock and leave me sitting on the side of the road for a couple hours.

Pulled plugs... wrong ones for a points ignition. And the gap was 0.125+. New plugs gapped at the service spec of 0.020.

Checked entire ignition and coil, wires, condenser all tested ok. Reset timing to a "less aggressive 14°btdc.

Did coolant flush. Oil change. Filters.

Followed the set up instructions for the ZS 150CD carb. That thing needs to be rebuilt. Wound up pulling about 1/2 turn out of mixture, resetting the idle (seemed like 40 times during the process) and basically changing the "throttle response" via the damper settings. I think this and the plugs were the real solution since you could smell the difference as I went through the set up process.

Put about 150 miles on her in 90+°F temps over the weekend. Never seemed to miss or skip. No more "gas" smell at stop lights. is a little more responsive to the throttle. Idiot gauge showed the temp being much lower and that there was more variance to temp when driving. Also saw reduction in temp as driving for the first time.

Upcoming trips to Savanna are much less of a concern for me now.
Mid Life Crisis in the making -- '02 TJ i4 manual, Aussie Locker magic pulling from the front

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2015, 08:48:43 AM »
Awesome!! Well done

Tapatalking in traffic
Quote from: etk300ex
oh lord!

carchameleon

• Free Loader
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2015, 11:22:57 AM »
good job and good to hear

jaysenodell

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2015, 11:35:42 AM »
good job and good to hear
I "think" the move to points is what messed her up. The RN12YC that were in there were exactly what was called for with the pertronix ignition. Between the added resistance and the large gap the "guess" is that there was incomplete combustion. That led to burn off in the exhaust mani which pushed under hood temps to "HELL HAS AC!" levels. That likely led to boiling fuel. Add a slightly rich mix and the gassy exhaust made a lot of sense.

I gave her an extended run (8mi) at 70mph and the temp needle climbed to the right of N. Unlike the last couple months, with a mile of 55mph temp dropped right back to left of N.

Only thing that I "have to do" is get a spare. But at this point I'm never outside AA tow radius to I may just reclaim the trunk space. I should deal with the valve cover seep, but it isn't burning oil under the hood nor is she ever close to "add oil" (one quart TOTAL added since I've gotten her here) so I'll likely ignore that for now. Everything else is just cosmetic.

Mrs loves driving around in the evenings. We are about to push the ODO over 40k. As far as she's concerned MadGe was the right "3rd car". That is as close to a win as I will ever get.

jaysenodell

'75 MG Midget -- MadGe
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2015, 12:54:39 PM »
Mrs wanted to take Madge to Savannah. 70-80mph for an hour and the temp was right where it should have been. Seeing oil pressure running a tad low after long runs of high temp, but recovers quickly with a bit of low rpm driving.

Already been stopped twice in Savannah today by folks wanting to know where to get repairs done. Apparently I need too move closer and become a shade tree wrench. Nope. That's too much like work.

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2015, 09:45:38 PM »
Awesome that the MG is up to that now!

Tapatalking in traffic
oh lord!

jaysenodell

« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2015, 04:57:23 PM »
I need days like this more often.

Ignition warning light in Madge goes on. I diagnose "bad rectifier". I call for parts. Find one far far away. I go look in "Paul's gifts to Madge" pile and find ...

Yep. Still has factory test tags. Thanks Paul!

carchameleon

• Free Loader
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2015, 05:19:52 PM »
more like guy i got if from's gifts..

jaysenodell

« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2015, 05:32:15 PM »
I'm still giving you credit with the mrs.

Either way, fixed with $0 out of my pocket. And I didn't have to drive three hours. Win win.

carchameleon

• Free Loader
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2015, 05:35:52 PM »
awesome :)

also glad you guys are really enjoying it

jaysenodell

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2015, 11:54:04 AM »
*sigh*

Looks like MadGe is trying to make be work.

Trip to savannah two weeks ago there was a the alternator issue and an odd drop in oil pressure. Drove MadGe back to Sav for a work trip. On both trips the oil pressure thing was pretty obvious. All symptoms point to rod bearings. She's about 20K early.

As I was looking through the service manuals there's an awful lot of thumbprints around the sections detailing lower end rebuild. I'm wondering if she's been a problem child in the past. 1500s are well known as bearing eaters so ... it is what it is.

sMike/Paul, either of you know of any bottom end work being done in her past?

carchameleon

• Free Loader
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2015, 12:48:05 PM »
i don't remember anything about that,  hopefully smike can ask

mr.mindless

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2015, 01:35:47 PM »
Seems like thats not the proper application of “thicker oil and run ’er till she blows”

Tapatalking in traffic
oh lord!

jaysenodell

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2015, 01:40:22 PM »
Having a hard time finding 1500 from triumph or MG. that kind of discourages the "till she blows" part.