Projects place > Projects Section

TDI Wonder 3.0

<< < (2/28) > >>

mr.mindless:
2.0 goes under the knife for turbo swap, and 3.0 for head swap on Friday in the warm weather opportunity.

Couple bites on 1.8t, betting nothing continues to come of it.

mr.mindless:
I should have wasted less of today. same thing I say every day off. I have motivation and procrastination issues.

turbo that came with the new head has good actuator but bad bearings. didn't go further than that on 2.0
head almost off of 3.0. Dinner break now that it's dark, then a tool run to the tool cart left at mikes shop. Need my triple squares for the head bolts.
turbo actuator on 3.0 is rotted out. Need a 10mm wrench that I've only got one of to hopefully get that swapped.

slim chance I'll have this running tonight, but with some luck it'll at least be on its way back together.

mr.mindless:
Head looked good, only one valve visibly bent. New lifters and valves and that head would be a runner.

Bottom end on the other hand, I might not be so lucky. No valve damage to the pistons, but the hole that seller said was showing no compression has erosion around the top of the piston.

It might be fine, or it might be a waste of time, a head gasket, and a bunch of single use bolts if that hole still leaks down or it blows apart in less than another 100k... I'll solicit some internet opinions on the facespace and see what the world thinks.

I might dig my other TDI out from under the workbench tomorrow and give it a close look (came from Brett's friend's car that Spencer and I parted several years ago, totally unknown history). It's definitely new enough that it uses the same pistons as this engine. Be easy enough to pull the pan and go in from the bottom as long as the bore stands up to very close inspection. New piston with rings lists at $125.

I know this car had the turbo swapped on it, and I actually found a piece of the cold side turbine on top of the steering rack. Wouldn't surprise me if that's what the piston damage was from and it's been driven like that for ~30k and was "fine"

mr.mindless:
Rings were ordered. I settled on swapping the bad piston. also chasing a good deal on a performance turbo. Either this or the Golf will be kept for a while, and souped up a bit. Golf will be staying at high asking price until this actually runs, then cut to sell if this is as good as reported.

mr.mindless:
Progress fail: 2 oil pan bolts I can’t access.

I need to grab a set of built-in wobble extensions like mike has. Not a big enough hole to get a 3/8 universal through, my shallow 1/4 10mm is MIA, and I left my 1/4 drive universal and extensions at the shop.

I need a more complete second set of tools :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version